Studying public relations courses is very important, either for the students who wish to specialize in this field, as it will be crucial for them to include extra courses in their resumes, or for businessmen who would like to implement their startups, because this will help them develop a PR and marketing strategy for their newly born brand.
In this post, we will review some of the best public relations online courses to discover the contents of each course, its importance, and what is different about it.
Program Name: Public Relations For Digital Media Specialization
Duration: 21 Weeks
Created by: National University of Singapore
Rating: 4.52 / 5
This learning program is provided by Coursera which is one of the best online education providers. They have partnerships with 140 of the world’s best universities such as Stanford, Pennsylvania, Michigan….etc.
The program is developed by some of the best professors of the National University of Singapore (the 15th best university in the world – according to top universities ranking – 2018). It consists of 5 courses. It is recommended to study them all in order; however, you can choose to study some of them only.What is special about this program is that it covers thoroughly and extensively all the aspects related to public relations including:
- the definition of public relations and its importance;
- the role of the public relations officers;
- how to make public relations strategies and tactics;
- how to apply the public relations theories when carrying out the practical activities;
- conducting public relations researches and how to use them to improve the organization’s performance and solve PR problems;
- what are PR campaigns;
- the steps of creating a PR campaign strategy, the structure of the campaign, and how to implement it;
- the importance of social media in public relations;
- how to use social media channels such as Facebook, and Twitter to build and maintain a relationship with a huge base of customers;
- managing social media campaigns and branding.
At the end of this program, there is the capstone project course, in which the students will have to apply all the knowledge they have gained into a practical project.
Most of the previous students reviews about the program were positive. They stated that it is useful, informative, and easy to understand. For more information about the program, click here.
Note: all the courses materials in Coursera are free to read and study; however, the fees should be paid in order to receive the certificate. Moreover, there is a financial aid program for students who qualify.
Program Name: Modern PR — How To Get Press Coverage For Your Business
Duration: Lifetime access
Price: $100 (discounts up to 89% available!)
Created by: Brad Merrill
Rating: 4.3 / 5
The provider of this course is Udemy. It was founded in 2010; located in San Fransisco, USA, they have more than 20 million students and more than 65,000 courses taught by expert instructors in many fields.
Unlike Coursera, the courses in Udemy do not have a specific duration, and they are way shorter. You just buy the course materials, and access them at any time you like, so this is an asset for people who can not commit to lectures and assignments with specified times.
Also, a different thing in Udemy is that the courses are more industrial than academic, as the courses are usually created by people who have experience in industry not university professors like Coursera.
This course is created by Brad Merril, an entrepreneur and a blogger with a huge work experience. He has been writing on the internet for years; his articles were read by millions and cited by some leading publications, such as Wall Street Journal.
The course is mainly designed for people who have a specific business and want to reach people through PR. It concentrates on how to get press coverage to your business, and covers some important points such as:
- the way you can build and maintain relationships with reporters and journalists;
- how to identify the journalists who are going to be interested in covering your business;
- how to attract people and journalists and make them speak about your brand;
- how to write a perfect email pitch to grab journalists attention;
- how to make your company news penetrate the popular journals, blogs and websites.
A special thing about this course is that students get a lifetime access to the Q&A board, such that they can benefit from the instructor’s experience whenever they need to.
The students reviews about the course were mostly positive. They said it is easy to understand, straight to the point, and gave them good insights on how to deal with the press. Nevertheless, it needs more in depth information. It was rated 4.3 stars out of 5.
Click here for more information about this course.
Duration: Lifetime access
Price: $200 (discounts up to 94% available)
Created by: Alex Genadinik
Rating: 4 / 5
This course is also provided by Udemy. Its instructor is Alex Genadinik. He is the one who created Problemio business apps, which are some best mobile phone apps for planning and launching startups, with more than a million downloads. He is also the author of three popular business books.
The course mainly concentrates on delivering the following knowledge:
- how to publicize your business to reach a massive number of audience;
- SEO strategies to promote your business website;
- grab the press attention to build your brand name;
- get more traffic for your website;
- make your brand reach the big online magazines, blogs with large numbers of audience, and popular social media channels;
- writing better titles to increase the CTR (click through rate) of the articles published in your website;
- writing good press releases.
The instructor of this course organizes two sessions per week for students on GoogleHangouts to advise them and answer their questions based on their specific situations, which is very powerful for people having their own business when they need consultancy.
The reviews of the students for this course were positive. They found it helpful, with useful and straightforward information, but they advised the instructor to add more in depth information. He has already reacted to their feedback, and modified the course to include more information. The course is rated 4 stars out of 5.
For more information about this course, visit its website here.
So, what can you do now?
If you are a student who want to specialize in the PR field, or an entrepreneur who want his business to rock and reach more people, studying about public relations is very important to you. Consequently, I advise you to find out the most relevant course to you then start the enrollment process. They are not that expensive and will be very useful.
Always remember that: do not underestimate knowledge, only one advice or a piece of useful information can change your life! Best wishes!
In case you have any feedback or information to add, you are welcome to leave them in a comment. As I say at the end of each post, we all have the same goal, to help each other to become better.